Casino Trực Tuyến：Gittens Lodge
NSCC Truro Campus
Phone: (902) 893-5367
Fax: (902) 893-5388
Gittens Lodge Map
A Brief History
In 1969, Prof. Ted Gittens and Dr. Verl Short, faculty members from the Nova Scotia Teachers College, looked for land to establish an Environmental Science Centre. They found their land at Scott Paper, who leased the College a 600-acre block of land at Manganese Mines.
Gittens Lodge construction was began in 1971 and completed in 1973. All the lumber used in construction was supplied by Scott Paper. Most of the supplies and labour were donated by local companies and organizations.
Renovations and upgrades have been performed through the years drawing on resources from Scott Paper (now Northern Pulp Nova Scotia Corporation), the Department of Public Works and Transportation, the Nova Scotia Teachers College, the Nova Scotia Community College and the local community.
In 1993 an evaluation of the woodlands surrounding the Lodge was conducted and 23 ecological study sites were documented and mapped. In an average year, approximately 1500 children and 150 adults make use of Gittens Lodge and surrounding property.
- Pick up the key and pay your fees at the Business Office, Truro Campus.
- Proceed East on Arthur Street, through the traffic light, past Truro Center Shopping area.
- Proceed along Walker Street across Prince and Queen (traffic light at each), cross the Salmon River Bridge into Bible Hill.
- Proceed under the railway to traffic light turn right onto Pictou Road.
- Follow Pictou Road under Trans-Canada Highway, leave pavement at top of the hill. Sign says Manganese Mines.
- Follow signs to fork on right into the woods, proceed to chain gate. (Please relock the lock on the post.)
Things to Pack
- Dishwashing needs & hand soap
- First aid kit
- Seasonal clothing
A signed rental agreement must be returned with a non-refundable $35 booking fee and proof of insurance for all groups using the lodge within 2 weeks of receiving application, or your booking will be cancelled. Rental price is based on the number of users; lodge can accommodate 28 (in bunks).
All fees must be paid before the key is signed out. If you need to be invoiced for your rental, please indicate at time of booking.
|# People||Daily Rental||Overnight Rental|
Prices include HST of 15%.
Check-in and Check-out Times
In order to allow a 4 hour break between bookings, check-in and check-out times may vary. Please advise the members of your group of your particular check-in and check-out times.
Keys to Gittens Lodge
Keys to Gittens Lodge are signed out and returned to the Business Office at the Truro Campus of the Nova Scotia Community College.
"Do's and Don'ts"
- Do limit outdoor fires to the fire pit located to the right of the driveway in front of the lodge.
- Do make sure that any fire is completely out before leaving it.
- Do not remove dead branches or fallen trees. (They are part of the ecosystem and should remain undisturbed.)
- Do not bring alcoholic beverages on the grounds.
- Do ensure safety through a reasonable and responsible ratio of adults to youth.
Gittens Lodge – Information Sheet (PDF 282KB)